AUCKLAND - The award season kicked off in style for Saatchi & Saatchi's New Zealand offices with the announcement of the 2009 Fairfax AdMedia winners, closely followed by the CAANZ AXIS award show.
In its first year of operation, Saatchi & Saatchi New Zealand's digital and direct agency, Saatchi & Saatchi DGS, won New Zealand's Admedia Direct & Interactive Agency of the Year.
Only launched on July 7 2008, Saatchi & Saatchi DGS beat other finalists, including AIM Proximity and TBWA/Tequila, to be recognised with the prestigious award.
The win was based on several major new business wins, international awards recognition, strong financial performance and significant internal change to develop new, world class digital and direct capabilities.
Tony Gardner, GM Saatchi & Saatchi DGS, said, "To win in year one is amazing. It's due to the vision of Saatchi & Saatchi NZ and the hard work of many people in Saatchi & Saatchi DGS and Saatchi & Saatchi. The exciting thing is that we have plenty of room for improvement yet."
Meanwhile Saatchi & Saatchi New Zealand was putting in an impressive showing at the 2009 AXIS Awards.
In all, they won 5 gold, 10 silver and 7 bronze, for clients as diverse as Vespa, TVNZ, NZ Army and Sanyo. This made them one of the most successful agencies on the night, ranking behind only Colenso BBDO.
The AXIS Awards are run by the Communication Agencies Association of New Zealand (CAANZ), the country's industry association for communication agencies, and are all about recognising creative excellence within New Zealand's creative community.
Mike O'Sullivan, Executive Creative Director of Saatchi & Saatchi New Zealand, commented, "Worldwide CEO Kevin Roberts asked us earlier this year to do well at local award shows and win Agency of the Year. With our showing at Axis and with Saatchi & Saatchi DGS taking out Fairfax AdMedia Digital and Direct Agency of the Year we are off to a good start."
A full list of the award winning work is below:
- Magazine Single - Vespa: 'Police Gap'
- Magazine Campaign - NZ Army: 'Toy Soldiers'
- Newspaper Single - TVNZ: 'American Psycho - Flag'
- Outdoor Billboard Advertising Single - TVNZ: 'Kill Bill Blood Splatter'
- Flat Direct Mail - TVNZ: 'Around the World in 80 Days'
- Magazine Single - NZ Army 'Toy Soldiers - Chef'
- Magazine Single - NZ Army 'Toy Soldiers - Psych'
- Magazine Campaign - TVNZ: 'Stars in Their Eyes'
- Magazine Campaign - Vespa: 'Gap'
- Newspaper Single - TVNZ: 'Jackass'
- Outdoor Billboard Advertising Single - TVNZ: 'American Psycho - George'
- Interactive Media & Innovative Ideas - Toyota Hilux motion sensor
- Online 'Rich Media' ad - TV2: 'Mission: Impossible'
- Radio Single - TVNZ: 'Casanova'
- Radio Single - TVNZ: 'Take Over'
- Magazine Single - Sanyo: 'Lighthouse'
- Magazine Single - Sanyo: 'Seagull'
- Outdoor Billboard Advertising Single - TVNZ: 'MI:3'
- Outdoor Billboard Advertising Single - Sanyo: 'Million Words'
- Guerilla Advertising - TVNZ: 'American Psycho - Blood Splatter'
- Interactive Media & Innovative Ideas - NZ Army: 'Arcade Game'
- Best overall online / interactive campaign - NZ Army: 'Force9 interactive campaign'